21 recently Discovered Cannabinoids Scientists are talking about

Marijuana Plant for describing

Marijuana have many different chemical compounds. Each of these handles a particular characteristic of the plant. You’re probably familiar with one compound, chlorophyll. It’s what makes plants, including marijuana, green. Another important chemical compound is terpene. This gives marijuana its different aromas and flavors.

Cannabinoids: The Most Important Chemicals

Cannabinoids are marijuana’s most important chemicals. They are responsible for giving the plant its medical and recreational characteristics. So far, scientists have found more than 120 cannabinoidsCannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) are the two cannabinoids that are best understood.

Cannabinoids have also been used to help with addictions, sleep disorders, multiple sclerosis and more. Below are some of the most well known and beneficial compounds:

  • THC

THC is responsible for the “high” that people experience after using marijuana. It has also been found to be a mild painkiller. This cannabinoid also has some antioxidant qualities, too.

  • CBD

CBD, in contrast to THC, does not give you that effect. In fact, using CBD can dilute the high feeling. CBD also has many medical benefits such as managing chronic pain and reducing inflammation. Relieving symptoms of depression and anxiety are other benefits that CBD has been shown to have for those who use cannabis.

  • CBG

Cannabigerol (CBG) is another cannabinoid that doesn’t give you that “high” feeling. CBG have antibacterial properties. Scientists think that CBG can slow or stop the growth of bacteria. And also reduces inflammation and encourage bone growth.

  • CBDV

Cannabidivarin (CBDV) is like CBD in its makeup. It reacts to different receptors in the body than CBS does though. There has been promising research using CBDV in epilepsy management.

  • CBC

Cannabichromene (CBC) has been shown to reduce pain and inflammation. It also helps slow the growth of cancer and tumor cells. CBC encourages the growth of bone. Cannabis plants that are tropical in nature are the ones that most often have CBC.

21 New Cannabinoids Discovered

Research into cannabinoids effects has been going on for decades. Researchers have only begun to understand the true benefits of cannabinoids. This was supported recently by a study that researchers from the University of British Columbia did.

First, the researchers collected 33 strains of cannabis from licensed Canadian producers. The purpose of the study was to find out the reasons for the different effects of the cannabis strains. The first theory supports is about the level of THC and CBD. Another theory was that it was a particular ratio of CBD and THC.

The scientists actually discovered 21 brand new compounds that are like cannabinoids. They also realized that the levels of THC and CBD aren’t very different among the strains of cannabis. This was in contrast to what has been believed for many years.

Chart with 21 newly discovered cannabinoids. Wellbeing Essence Blog post.


The differences between the strains of marijuana were due to the levels of CBD and THC only 36 percent of the time. The other 64 percent was because there were other cannabinoids in the strains. It was these unknown cannabinoids that set the strains apart from one another.

Informal breeders focused solely on those strains that offered the highest THC levels. As a result, the plant’s diversity suffered. At the present, those strains that have THC levels of more than 20 percent can no longer produce CBD. Those strains were also found to have fewer of the recently discovered cannabinoids.

Today, the industry has taken a more scientific approach to the breeding of marijuana. A structured breeding program is the mark of a quality company. Knowledge of the benefits of cannabinoids is likely to increase. This measured approach is one that will result in a high-quality product that could change your life.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here